The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) is seeking an experienced, collaborative and innovative Physician leader for a new position within the Primary Care and Population Health Service Line. The UAMS Medical Director of Population Health (PHMD) will define, develop and oversee UAMS Population Health and Value-Based Care initiatives including Quality and Performance Management of the MSSP ACO that is jointly owned by UAMS and Baptist Health Systems. The ideal candidate must have experience and passion to help solve complex Population Health problems ranging from patients who have care gaps related to Social Determinants of Health to negotiations with health plans. The PHMD will bring significant experience in quality performance, risk adjustment, analytics, and Healthcare Administration.
The PHMD will provide leadership, vision, and direction to develop and execute UAMS strategies to improve patient care and meet the clinical objectives of population health and accountable care risk-sharing arrangements.
The PHMD will work collaboratively with clinical, financial, administrative and business leaders to define and implement strategic Population Health initiatives for the state of Arkansas. The PHMD will be accountable for the execution of the UAMS Performance Management strategy. The PHMD will champion physician, physician assistant, and advanced care practitioner alignment strategies to support annual goals and objectives in the value-based healthcare environment. The PHMD will understand the role of an Academic Medical Center in the context of key Population Health achievements.
Essential Functions of the Role
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with Physicians, Physician Assistants, and Advanced Care Nursing practitioners.
- Develop and implement statewide strategies to improve health outcomes including patient experience, and healthcare value.
- Understand and manage risk stratification methods, data management, tracking and care management across the care continuum, including post-acute facilities and care in the home.
- Provide actionable feedback to providers on outcomes and utilization
- Develop and lead initiatives to improve quality, decrease cost, and provide outstanding patient experience across all areas of medical care delivery including inpatient, outpatient, ambulatory care, and post-acute/transitions in care
- Articulate and implement a quality improvement process that emphasizes teamwork, metrics, and accountability
- Analyze and distribute data including performance scorecard reports to providers
- In conjunction with physician leaders, work to develop, oversee, and monitor quality improvement in Alternative Payment Model (“APM”) mandated quality measures, measurement strategy, and creating tools to support projects as appropriate
- Incorporate initiatives to increase patient engagement
- Lead the change process from individual care to care for populations
- Develop improved coordination of care delivery across the population in all settings to improve clinical and financial outcomes
- Demonstrate and communicate the connection between quality improvement and clinical integration and Health System mission and vision
- Collaborate with Medical Informatics and IT professionals to optimize dashboards, reporting and workflows within Epic.
- MD/DO with active certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) board in physician’s primary specialty. Preference will be given to an actively practicing physician. Preference will be given for Epic “superusers” or Physician Builders.
- Three to five (3-5) years’ experience with governance and management in an ACO or as the Medical Director of a health care plan. Other similar experience will be considered.
- Working knowledge of physician and/or hospital-based contracting, pay-for-performance programs, and care management models
- Experience in, and sensitivity to, the unique dynamics of an integrated Academic Medical Center
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing, decision-making, analytics, financial management and communication
- Demonstrated skills in Quality Improvement and operational improvements (e.g. “Lean”) methods
Send CV to email@example.com.